One more page has been turned in the diary of my life. The events have been penned and the memories have been sealed. Good or bad is not a question.
The morning as usual was a lazy one with me very adeptly enacting a pig who just can't get himself up from the muck around. Then started my good morning when I realized that my less than a month old water purifier has gone on a strike and the worst part is that I don't know why. Then came the phone of my flatmate, another Good morning message this time—He contracted jaundice within two weeks of entering the house. Wow !!! Life can really be an apt advertisement of Birla Sun Life Insurance sometimes—zindagi ke choti moti surprises ke liye taiyaar rahiye………Gosh ! I then realized that forget about having money for insurance I didn't even have the money to have lunch.
Then it was an arduous trek of 7 meters from the kingly comforts of my bed—which by now reeling under the weight of a 87 Kg elephant seemed more like a mat filled with cotton—to the ghastly corridors of my bathroom.
Well what happened next is completely your imagination……..
Then—events after the imagination—I managed to drag myself out of the flat and went to a bank, and then I went to my savior, the SPCE Mess. Had some food and started another trek to the bus stop. Then the city played out its patented magic. All of a sudden out of nowhere like Mr India the rains started dancing upon us. And the BEST buses were nowhere to be seen. Somehow one bus was spotted and we climbed like insects into it.
The same scene continued in the Mumbai locals except that the rains had been exhausted midway and they paused for some time. Also at that time the normal Mumbaikar out of their good sense or my good luck stayed back at some concrete crap and I enjoyed the solitude of the local trains.
Thereafter I met my mom, had some talk, then came dad, had some talk with him too and then it was time to pack up. I caught a bus for CST to go to Princess Street to enquire about bicycles. But here also Miss Fate waved her magic wand when I realized that the bus was meant to go for Princess Street, the moment I climbed down from the bus a good three kms away from the street.
Thereafter it was a normal Mumbai walk, navigating your way thru mucky waters, irritated people with a smiling face and irritating vehicles with their stupid honks. The enquiry wasn't much elating also, the cycles I wanted were a good 10k and above in price. No Subway for three months !!!
After that I just walked back to Marine Lines, packed myself into the crowd becoming just another sweaty face with stinking armpits sticking to some other person's nose. However what has always intrigued me is that in this stink lies a smile, people just don't care, some will be sleeping while u r busy sticking your armpit to their nose while the other person would be following Gandhi and show you his teeth as if advertising his morning applied Colgate. Maybe its this stink sweat and stench that is the essence of the city for only these oil the engine of this magical phenomenon by the name—Mumbai !!!
No comments:
Post a Comment